Saturday, December 17, 2016

Advent Journal Day XXI: The Journey to Joy

This past week Joy was the theme for Advent. I confessed to you that this week would be hard; Joy does not come easy for me…or so I thought. 



For a long time, I have beaten myself over the head with my Bible, for not being more Joyful. I am saved, after all, I love Jesus, why don’t I feel more joyous—especially at Christmas—the season of Joy?

C.S. Lewis taught us that Joy is not to be sought after like an “esthetic feeling.” He explained that by seeking a feeling, we are missing knowing the person of Christ and that we should seek Him, instead of a feeling or a “thing.”  Instead of seeking a feeling, seek God, and He will fill us with Joy. Go hard after Him and He will fill us full of Joy.

I spoke about how to cultivate joy in our lives; it comes by our thanksgiving, by cultivating a thankful heart. Thank God for all the wonderful things He has done in our lives and everything He will do.  God sent His Son to us and it was the greatest gift He ever gave; save the crucifixion and resurrection. A sense of Joy can easily be drowned out because sometimes life is very hard, and it throws some very breathtaking circumstances our way; but we can drown out the voice of discouragement and despair when we cultivate true thankfulness. If God never gives us one more thing, sending His Son is enough to move us to spend a life-time worshiping Him.

Spurgeon inspired us to awaken our worship, and by it, we can practice the sacred leading of your captivity captive. “Arise Barak, and lead thy captivity captive, the son of Abinoam”{Jdgs. 5:12. {ed. note: see also Ps. 68: 18; Eph.4:8}. Awaken your worship and it will lead you out of the captivity of despair and discouragement.



Don’t stop seeking God; chase after Him fervently. He will fill us with the Joy we need and long for. It comes from a life determined to be eucharistic, more thankful; I want to have a theology of thanksgiving, will you join me










To read the entire Advent Journal click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment